Position ID: ADV00082D
Posting Date: January 19, 2024
Location: Houston, TX
Are you passionate about human space exploration, understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a passionate and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your talent, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire people all over the globe. We need you to bring creative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will enable the exploration of space while benefiting people here on Earth. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on exciting challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration.
NASA JSC is seeking a passionate and highly motivated individual to fill the position of LRS Deputy System Manager.
In this position you will work closely with both JSC Engineering subject matter expert and NASA’s Orion Program Office. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in systems engineering, system integration, risk management, and testing & verification; as well as a desire to lead an elite team into the future of space flight systems and exploration.
We are actively searching for qualified candidates for this potential opening; however, we do not have assurance at this time when the position will be finalized and opened. Because we have strong reason to believe the position will be approved soon, we are proceeding with identifying qualified candidates and conducting interviews.Responsibilities
– Track technical issues within the Landing Recovery System (LRS) and facilitate their resolution.
– Coordinate technical activities to anticipate and prevent problems, optimize requirements, and design solutions.
– Identify technical risks, develop risk mitigation strategies, and determine resource requirements.
– Act as a backup for the System Manager (SM) in their absence.
– Coordinate activities with the SM to ensure comprehensive coverage of all LRS meetings and tasks. Provide assistance to the SM as assigned.
– Oversight responsibility of contractor teams on various Orion systems as directed by the System Manager.
– Assist the SM in integrating the landing system with NASA System Managers and Prime Contractor counterparts.
– Review, develop, and approve specifications, Interface Requirements Document (IRDs), and Interface Control Document (ICDs) for related subsystems (LRS, Mechanisms, Structures, GN&C, Pyro, and Propulsion).
– Review and approve verification plans and reports to ensure compliance with requirements.
– Collaborate with Orion and Exploration Ground Systems (EGS) to integrate post-landing and recovery activities for the Crew Service Module (CSM) from an engineering technical authority perspective.
– Perform other duties as required.
– Experience in space flight systems engineering including the successful delivery of space flight hardware to space.
– Working knowledge of NASA, JSC, and ISS standard practices and requirements including safety, fault tolerance, and unique disciplines.
– Familiarity with NASA/JSC documentation databases and SharePoint sites as well as typical systems engineering products.
– Prior experience working with program-level review boards
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
– Requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Engineering and normally possess 5- 10 years of related experience. License and certification may be required.
– 5 – 10 years of experience in systems engineering and integration.
– Experience with requirements development, design trades, risk analysis, and system analysis of space hardware.
– Five years’ of experience with certification of human spaceflight hardware
– Strong understanding of risk management and testing.
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
– Ability to work collaboratively and independently.
– Attention to detail and strong analytical skills.
– Experience working in a team environment. Familiarity with SharePoint and Microsoft Office products.
Mclaurin is a unique organization with a special focus on combining the best features of research and industry in order to foster innovation. Our organization strongly supports research, publication, and engagement with the academic community. We encourage our employees to remain on the cutting edge of new developments in their respective disciplines. Prospective candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, and if applicable, a list of relevant publications and research using the contact form below.
US Citizenship and the ability to pass a comprehensive security background investigation is required.Mclaurin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.