Position ID: MCL-GNC-20230714-ADV0006MD
Posting Date: July 14, 2023
Location: Houston, TX
Are you passionate about human space exploration, understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a passionate and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your talent, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire people all over the globe. We need you to bring creative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will enable the exploration of space while benefiting people here on Earth. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on exciting challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration. Jacobs is NASA’s largest engineering solutions provider working together with NASA at centers across the United States.
Our long-term client relationship with NASA has led to the need for a Spacecraft Navigation Engineer to support the development of navigation algorithms/systems for NASA/JSC manned spacecraft projects including Orion, Gateway, and Human Landing Systems (HLS). The selected candidate will join our JETS II contract team at Johnson Space Center.Responsibilities
- Design, develop and integrate navigation algorithms into the integrated GN&C system for NASA spacecraft including:
- Lunar surface-navigation without GPS
- Navigation during the descent phase of flight with precision landing and hazard avoidance
- Perform analysis and testing in an integrated GN&C environment
- Formally document the results of all design and analysis activities
- Perform other duties as required
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- Graduate-level coursework and in-depth knowledge of:
- Linear and non-linear state estimation theory
- Linear covariance analysis
- Numerical methods
- Familiarity with relative navigation concepts
- Knowledge of lunar surface-navigation techniques
- Knowledge in the design, analysis, and implementation of navigation algorithms
- Experience with spacecraft simulation modeling and analysis of integrated GN&C systems
- Experience programming in C/C++ and knowledge of Matlab/Simulink
- The proven ability to solve complex total GN&C system and simulation problems
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment consisting of NASA civil servants and various contractor employees
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Minimum of an MS in Aerospace, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering.
- Knowledge of image processing
- Knowledge of inertial sensors
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering and a minimum of 2- 5 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
Mclaurin is a unique organization with a special focus on combining the best features of research and industry in order to foster innovation. Our organization strongly supports research, publication, and engagement with the academic community. We encourage our employees to remain on the cutting edge of new developments in their respective disciplines. Prospective candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, and if applicable, a list of relevant publications and research using the contact form below.
US Citizenship and the ability to pass a comprehensive security background investigation is required.Mclaurin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.