Position ID: MCL-STR-20230418-ADV00067X
Posting Date: April 18, 2023
Location: Houston, TX
We need your talent, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire people all over the globe. We need you to bring creative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will enable the exploration of space while benefiting people here on Earth. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on exciting challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration. Mclaurin is partnered with Jacobs Engineering, NASA’s largest engineering solutions provider working together with NASA at centers across the United States.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Structural Analyst and Fracture Control Engineer for Spaceflight Hardware to join our JETS II Contract Team with Jacobs Engineering at Johnson Space Center.Responsibilities
- Review fracture control processes as used in the design, development, test, evaluation and processing of aerospace hardware.
- Advises on the solution of fracture control related problems; Participates in technical reviews as required. Participates in the effort of identifying anomalies and serves as a technical expert providing engineering recommendations, as required for resolution of any associated problems or issues.
- Evaluates compliance of flight hardware against established fracture control requirements.
- Use knowledge of fracture mechanics to conduct crack growth analyses.
- Use knowledge of advanced finite element analysis to model crack geometries.
- Develop enhanced capabilities needed to improve crack instability analysis methodology.
- Implement crack instability methodology that is developed into software for in-house and external use.
- Use knowledge of fatigue and fracture testing to direct such testing.
- Be familiar with NASA standards for analysis, including Fracture Control.
- Know and have experience with using NASGRO.
- Provide oversight review of structural analysis for spaceflight hardware.
- Use aerospace experience to perform classical hand stress analysis, finite element stress analysis and fracture analysis.
- Be proficient in the use of finite element modeling techniques using FEMAP or PATRAN for finite element model development and NASTRAN for finite element solutions.
- Prepare structural analysis reports and work with other engineers to find resolutions to problems.
- Perform other duties as required.
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- Requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering and normally possesses 5-10 years of related experience.
- Ability to effectively utilize oral and written communication to express technical concepts and recommendations to personnel at all technical and managerial levels.
- Ability to work effectively, rationally and quickly in real-time environments of rapid-change, conflicting requirements, and occasional pressure.
- BS degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering.
- Familiarity with NASA-STD-5019, AIAA S-080/AIAA S-081, and NASA-STD-5009.
- Familiarity with NASGRO.
- Familiarity with ASTM standards for Fracture mechanics testing.
- Understanding of Failure Analysis.
- Familiarity with conventional Aerospace metallic materials, and manufacturing processes that create flaws and affect fracture properties.
- Understanding of Composite Materials.
Mclaurin is a unique organization with a special focus on combining the best features of research and industry in order to foster innovation. Our organization strongly supports research, publication, and engagement with the academic community. We encourage our employees to remain on the cutting edge of new developments in their respective disciplines. Prospective candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, and if applicable, a list of relevant publications and research using the contact form below.
US Citizenship and the ability to pass a comprehensive security background investigation is required.Mclaurin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.