Position ID: MCL-STR-20230420-ADV0006AS
Posting Date: April 20, 2023
Location: Houston, TX
We need your talent, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire people all over the globe. We need you to bring creative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will enable the exploration of space while benefiting people here on Earth. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on exciting challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration. Mclaurin is partnered with Jacobs Engineering, NASA’s largest engineering solutions provider working together with NASA at centers across the United States.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Materials & Processes Engineer to join our JETS II Contract Team with Jacobs Engineering at Johnson Space Center.Responsibilities
– Provide design insight/oversight support for the International Space Station and NASA’s Lunar Gateway.
– Advise, guide, and provide consultation on Materials & Processes requirements for intravehicular (IVA) and extravehicular (EVA) environments, including materials selection, process control and qualification, design for corrosion prevention, flammability, toxic off gassing, and processes specification.
– Provide input to program/project specifications and ensure appropriate materials requirements are incorporated into all program/project specifications at the right level.
– Review project/program documentation and specifications to ensure Materials and Processes requirements are met for spaceflight hardware.
– Assess whether standard vendor processes meet requirements, and if not, clearly define changes that need to be implemented.
– Provide vendors with recommendations for qualification and acceptance testing that will properly satisfy verification of requirements.
– Provide inspection and manufacturing process support for human space flight systems.
– Perform other duties as required.
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements, and business needs, we can consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
– Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering (Metallurgy, Welding, Materials, Materials Science, Aerospace, Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical).
– M.S. or Ph.D. in Engineering is preferred.
– 3 or more years’ related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. M.S. or Ph.D.).
– Previous experience in material selection (metallic and nonmetallic) for electrical components, corrosion prevention, flammability prevention, oxygen compatibility, processes qualification, contamination control, development, test, and evaluation for NASA and/or aerospace projects.
– Familiar with metallic and nonmetallic materials specifications, properties, and testing.
– Experience with composite structures, polymers, contamination control/processing, adhesives and coatings.
– Knowledge in engineering drawing review for materials and processes.
– Effective written and verbal communication skills with the ability to critically assess manufacturing/material processes and designs.
– Ability to work collaboratively and independently in a multidisciplinary field.
– Strong analytical skills.
Mclaurin is a unique organization with a special focus on combining the best features of research and industry in order to foster innovation. Our organization strongly supports research, publication, and engagement with the academic community. We encourage our employees to remain on the cutting edge of new developments in their respective disciplines. Prospective candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, and if applicable, a list of relevant publications and research using the contact form below.
US Citizenship and the ability to pass a comprehensive security background investigation is required.Mclaurin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.