Position ID: MCL-STR-20230712-ADV0006YD
Posting Date: July 12, 2023
Location: Houston, TX
Are you passionate about human space exploration, understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a passionate and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your talent, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire people all over the globe. We need you to bring creative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will enable the exploration of space while benefiting people here on Earth. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on exciting challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration. Jacobs is NASA’s largest engineering solutions provider working together with NASA at centers across the United States.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Structures Systems Engineer to join Mclaurin Aersopace to help support the JETS II Contract Team with Jacobs Engineering at Johnson Space Center.Responsibilities
The Structures Systems Engineer – for xEVA will have an impact on the Earth to Moon mission both strategically and tactically and will:
- Provide subsystem management and integration oversight and insight in support of xEVA Structures and Mechanisms System Team, influencing the hardware development.
- Develop and leverage understanding of integrated xEVA architecture and operations as it pertains to structures and mechanisms interaction in specific hardware design and across interfaces.
- Provide system requirements development and interpretation, including deviations and alternate standards, as it pertains to the NASA Technical Authority Design and Construction Standards and Subsystem Specifications for structures and mechanical systems.
- Provide support to program milestones by providing critical review and reporting of hardware development and requirement verification.
- Support the development of hardware and integrated safety hazards and reviews.
- Provide review of design and verification documentation related to xEVA structural and mechanisms systems and hardware.
- Evaluate designs and perform technical and safety assessments. Identify areas needing independent verification and validation.
- Review and participate in test and verification of xEVA hardware.
- Provide technical support to program office, boards and panel meetings as the structures and mechanisms subject expert. Draw on other engineering resources for additional expertise as needed.
- Integrate with other technical disciplines to solve technical issues and progress the mission forward.
- Travel as needed to other NASA centers and commercial partner facilities, international and domestic, in support of duties.
- Perform other duties as required.
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- Ability to effectively utilize oral and written communication to express technical concepts and recommendations to personnel at all technical and managerial levels.
- Ability to work effectively, rationally and quickly in real-time environments of rapid-change, conflicting requirements, and occasional pressure.
- Ability to confidently assume a position of technical authority.
- Familiarity with NASA-STD-5001, NASA-STD-5020, and AIAA S-080/AIAA S-081.
- Familiarity with structural design practices, Finite element analysis, and bolted joint analysis.
- Understanding of Failure Analysis.
- Experience in or familiarity with systems engineering
- Familiarity with conventional Aerospace metallic materials, and manufacturing processes.
- Understanding of Composite Materials.
- Experience with spacecraft structural design or systems engineering
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
Mclaurin is a unique organization with a special focus on combining the best features of research and industry in order to foster innovation. Our organization strongly supports research, publication, and engagement with the academic community. We encourage our employees to remain on the cutting edge of new developments in their respective disciplines. Prospective candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, and if applicable, a list of relevant publications and research using the contact form below.
US Citizenship and the ability to pass a comprehensive security background investigation is required.Mclaurin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.