Position ID: MCL-SYS-20230714-ADV00057Q
Posting Date: July 14, 2023
Location: Houston, TX
Are you passionate about human space exploration, understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a passionate and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your talent, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire people all over the globe. We need you to bring creative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will enable the exploration of space while benefiting people here on Earth. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on exciting challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration. Jacobs is NASA’s largest engineering solutions provider working together with NASA at centers across the United States.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Systems Engineer – Lunar Surface Exploration / Dust Mitigation & Control to join our JETS II contract team at Johnson Space Center.Responsibilities
- Participate in a team environment for Artemis mission development and planning, working with NASA’s Human Landing System Partners to develop plans and technology for the mitigation, control, and management of dust contamination for lunar surface exploration.
- Work will include those systems and technologies needed to prevent dust accumulation on lunar surface EVA tools and suits, as well as dust removal and control to prevent dust in the crew cabin volumes.
- Contribute to mission planning with dust mitigation and control in mind.
- Work in partnership with JSC lab facilities to conduct ground-based testing of dust mitigation and control methods and technologies using lunar simulant and simulated space environment, development space suits, and development lunar surface tools.
- Perform and review system level architecture trade studies and analyses that will influence the overall system design and performance.
- Work with team members to identify risks, develop risk statements and responses.
- Work with team members in the development of system requirements.
- Work in a team environment and report to the team lead to provide status on progress and issues and for support.
- Maintain a professional relationship with the NASA customer and other NASA support contractors.
- Perform other duties as required.
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- Experience with requirements development, design trades, development of Concept of Operations, risk analysis, and system analysis of space hardware.
- Basic knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures in the space hardware field, such as mechanical and electrical system design, engineering drawings and sketches, and material selection.
- Knowledge of systems engineering principles and associated documentation.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Familiarity with NASA/JSC engineering processes.
- Familiarity with NASA EVA suits and procedures.
- Familiarity with dust control and mitigation technologies.
- Familiarity with NASA/JSC mission planning products.
- Prior systems engineering & integration experience roles in early program phases.
- Familiarity with NASA/JSC documentation databases and share point sites as well as typical systems engineering products.
- INCOSE Systems Engineering Professional certification.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and a minimum of 2- 5 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
- Prior experience working in a lab environment with development test & evaluation for engineering hardware.
Mclaurin is a unique organization with a special focus on combining the best features of research and industry in order to foster innovation. Our organization strongly supports research, publication, and engagement with the academic community. We encourage our employees to remain on the cutting edge of new developments in their respective disciplines. Prospective candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, and if applicable, a list of relevant publications and research using the contact form below.
US Citizenship and the ability to pass a comprehensive security background investigation is required.Mclaurin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.