Position ID: ADV00079H
Posting Date: August 24, 2023
Location: Houston, TX
Are you passionate about human space exploration, understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a passionate and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your talent, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire people all over the globe. We need you to bring creative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that willenable the exploration of space while benefiting people here on Earth. We are excited about what we do, and weneed you on our team as we take on exciting challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration. Jacobs is NASA’s largest engineering solutions provider working together with NASA at centers across the United States.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Systems Engineer – Advanced Concepts to join our team with JETS II team at Johnson Space Center.Responsibilities
• Develop concepts and define future human space exploration vehicles and missions.
• Study future Lunar mission campaigns, evaluating constraints across multiple space vehicles such as
gateway, Orion and HLS. Concepts for
• Lunar surface exploration campaigns and future long term Lunar surface missions will also be studied and developed.
• Develop and evolve conceptual vehicles by working with multi discipline teams in a highly collaborative environment.
• Work on architecture definitions and functional flows.
• Work on requirements definition, flow-down, assessment.
• Work on trade studies and stakeholder reviews.
• Work in a team environment and report to the team lead to provide status on progress and issues and for support.
• Maintain a professional relationship with the NASA customer and other NASA support contractors.
• Perform other duties as required.
• Experience working with multiple NASA organizations.
• Experience working across NASA centers.
• Experience with NASA sponsored or funded technology development.
• Experience with space mission analysis (e.g., orbit analysis, delta-V budgets, spacecraft constraint
• Familiarity with human space exploration systems (for example Orion, Commercial Crew, ISS,EMU/xEMU).
• Basic knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures in the space hardware field, such
as mechanical and electrical system design, engineering drawings and sketches, and material selection for
• INCOSE Systems Engineering Professional certification.
• Familiarity with system architecture tools such as DoDAF, TODAF, etc..
• Requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in engineering and normally possess 5 – 10 years of related experience.
Required – 3 or more of these skills:
• Experience with capturing trade space of potential ‘system solutions’ and establishing trade-study framework
to allow evaluation of options.
• Developing and performing concept studies and parametric trade studies – along with documenting results.
• Conceptual engineering architecture development and architecture analysis for space vehicles and systems
of space vehicles.
• Experience in early program concept development and formulation.
• Pre-Phase A engineering integration of space vehicle systems and across multiple vehicles operating in a
system of systems.
• Experience with developing functional block diagrams and functional allocations.
• Experience creating concepts for operations of single vehicle systems as well as operations across multiple
• Experience with technology roadmap development and creating technology infusion plans.
• Experience with interface definition for vehicle subsystems.
• Experience collecting/understanding stakeholder needs.
• Experience with interface definitions between multiple vehicles or elements of a mission.
• Experience creating configuration growth or evolution plans and defining incremental capabilities for a
• Ability to define mission sequences both within a single mission across multiple missions.
• Knowledge of systems engineering principles and associated documentation
Mclaurin is a unique organization with a special focus on combining the best features of research and industry in order to foster innovation. Our organization strongly supports research, publication, and engagement with the academic community. We encourage our employees to remain on the cutting edge of new developments in their respective disciplines. Prospective candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, and if applicable, a list of relevant publications and research using the contact form below.
US Citizenship and the ability to pass a comprehensive security background investigation is required.Mclaurin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.