Position ID: ADV00087E
Posting Date: February 8, 2024
Location: Houston, TX
Are you passionate about human space exploration, understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a passionate and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your talent, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire people all over the globe. We need you to bring creative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will enable the exploration of space while benefiting people here on Earth. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on exciting challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Systems Engineer – Proprioception Trainer to join our JETS II contract team at Johnson Space Center.
This position is a blend of Systems Engineering and Project Engineering for NASA’s Proprioception Trainer project. The Proprioception Trainer is a technology demonstration (tech demo) intended for the International Space Station (ISS) to help NASA maintain crew health on future space missions.Responsibilities
– Responsible for the planning, development, review, and maintenance of requirements and verification plans.
– Generating the Concept of Operations (ConOps).
– Prepares materials for the system life cycle phasing, including SRR (System Readiness Review), Preliminary Design Reviews (PDR) and Critical Design Review (CDR) and presents the material.
– Identifies risks, develops risk statements, and plans risk responses.
– Performs and reviews system level architecture trade studies and analyses that will influence the overall system design and performance.
– Places and carefully tracks progress of procurements.
– Develops certification and acceptance test plans.
– Supports Test and Verification (T&V) activities for flight hardware.
– Tracks and organizes materials for project meetings and reviews.
– Identifies and engages with stakeholders.
– Frequently performs hands-on hardware testing.
– Works in a small team environment, and reports to project manager for technical support, task assignment, and processes.
– Supports hardware troubleshooting to investigate mechanical and electrical failures within flight hardware or test support hardware.
– Generates essential paperwork and documents for tasks assigned, such as Task Performance Sheets (TPS), Discrepancy Reports (DR), and Detailed Test Procedures (DTP), as needed.
– Performs job functions based on pre-established guidelines or instructions.
– Maintains a professional relationship with the NASA customer and other NASA support contractors.
– Performs other tasks assigned.
– BS degree in Engineering from an accredited engineering school and at least two years of relevant experience. This position is posted at multiple levels.
– Experience with the design, assembly, verification, testing, and operation of space hardware.
– Experience with NASA JSC Flight Hardware Life Cycle, Certification, and Engineering processes.
– INCOSE Systems Engineering Professional certification.
– Working knowledge of NASA and JSC standard practices and requirements including safety, fault tolerance, and unique disciplines.
– Familiarity with NASA/JSC documentation databases and typical systems engineering products.
– Familiarity with Class 1-E projects at Johnson Space Center.
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
– Typically requires a bachelor’s degree in Engineering and a minimum of 2- 5 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
– Experience with the development of space systems requirements documents including the Project Technical Requirements Specification (PTRS) and Verification and Validation documents (V&VD), and Interface Control Document (ICD).
– Basic knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures in the space hardware field, such as mechanical and electrical system design, engineering drawings and sketches, material selection, and design software and tools.
– Ability to prepare written documents and to verbally present at various meetings.
– Familiarity with SharePoint and Microsoft Office products.
Mclaurin is a unique organization with a special focus on combining the best features of research and industry in order to foster innovation. Our organization strongly supports research, publication, and engagement with the academic community. We encourage our employees to remain on the cutting edge of new developments in their respective disciplines. Prospective candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, and if applicable, a list of relevant publications and research using the contact form below.
US Citizenship and the ability to pass a comprehensive security background investigation is required.Mclaurin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.