Position ID: MCL-STR-20230724-ADV00074U
Posting Date: July 24, 2023
Location: Houston, TX
Are you passionate about human space exploration, understanding the origins of the universe, and
working with a passionate and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your talent, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire people all
over the globe. We need you to bring creative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision,
shape, and deliver systems that will enable the exploration of space while benefiting people here on
Earth. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on exciting
challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration. Jacobs is NASA’s largest engineering
solutions provider working together with NASA at centers across the United States.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Structural Dynamics Engineer to join our JETS II contract team at Johnson Space Center.
This position will be performing structural dynamic analysis on spacecraft in multiple NASA human
This includes Orion, Gateway, Human Landing System, Commercial Crew Program, and others.Responsibilities
• Perform detailed finite element modeling and coupled loads analysis.
• Perform analyses using commercial and in-house codes as well as write new simulation scripts.
• Perform modal analysis on component Finite Element Analysis models in preparation for modal
• Identify critical modes for a component or system.
• Review and process modal and structural data (analytical and test).
• Develop test plans and procedures, documenting test results.
• Perform other duties as required.
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience,
requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which
this position has been advertised.
Preferred Education and Experience:
• BS or MS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
• Experience using NASTRAN with FEMAP as a pre/post-processor.
• Experience with Component Mode Synthesis and Craig Bampton model reductions.
• Experience performing multi-body and dynamic contact analysis (e.g. LS-DYNA or Adams).
• Experience customizing analysis processes through scripting and software development.
• Familiarity with version control methods using GitLab or GitHub.
• Proficiency in Python, MATLAB, or C/C++.
- A bachelor’s degree in engineering in the field or in a related area.
- Familiarity with desktop software applications, MS Office is required.
- Must have excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Finite element modeling experience.
- Experience with Python, MATLAB, and/or C/C++.
Mclaurin is a unique organization with a special focus on combining the best features of research and industry in order to foster innovation. Our organization strongly supports research, publication, and engagement with the academic community. We encourage our employees to remain on the cutting edge of new developments in their respective disciplines. Prospective candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, and if applicable, a list of relevant publications and research using the contact form below.
US Citizenship and the ability to pass a comprehensive security background investigation is required.Mclaurin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.