Position ID: ADV00086Y
Posting Date: February 8, 2024
Location: Houston, TX
Are you passionate about human space exploration, understanding the origins of the universe, and working with a passionate and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we need you!
We need your talent, teamwork, and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire people all over the globe. We need you to bring creative ideas and diverse backgrounds to help us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will enable the exploration of space while benefiting people here on Earth. We are excited about what we do, and we need you on our team as we take on exciting challenges for NASA’s pursuits in deep space exploration.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Manager – Propulsion, Pyro and Power Systems to join our JETS II contract team at Johnson Space Center.Responsibilities
As the Propulsion, Pyro and Power Systems Section Manager you will:
– Manage the Propulsion, Pyro and Power Systems section, a section within the Energy and Space Simulation Group that supports the NASA Propulsion and Power Division (EP), Energy Systems Test Branch (EP6)
– Manage and direct daily activities of approximately 50+ employees in multiple JSC facilities consisting of Test Directors, Electrical & Mechanical Engineers, Technicians & Facility Engineers
– Work with NASA ESTA Branch management to obtain requirements for test and project requests, form and manage teams to respond to requests
– Responsible for project management, generate estimates as needed, monitor and report on risk, cost, schedule, and technical performance metrics to ensure workforce is meeting project milestones
– Ensure active test facilities are maintained and ready for use through periodic maintenance, maintaining pressure systems certifications and instrument calibrations, which are performed by the team
– Manage, forecast, and coordinate resource needs to support all EP6 deliverables in various facilities and work areas that meets or exceeds the expectation of our customers
– Interface with senior management to identify and report support needs, cost, schedule, and risks
– Responsible for managing resources effectively within budgetary and time constraints and contribute to the overall success of the company by providing a motivated and productive team
– Manage the Training and Certification and Re-certifications of employees
– Responsible for the safety of the employees in the operational areas and provides oversight for compliance with HSE requirements and company policies.
– Leads and champions innovation thinking and continuous improvement efforts for cost savings and lead time improvements
– Provide personnel management to include hiring and onboarding, review and approval of timecards, leave requests, training certifications, annual performance appraisal, regular section meetings, and employee recognition through awards
– Develop procedures and guidelines as well as implement policies that will strengthen test operations
– Review and communicate effectively with other managers and project managers to resolve issues
– Provide employee counseling and comply with EEO/AA programs
– Perform other duties as required
– BS degree in engineering from an accredited engineering school with a minimum of ten (10) years of direct engineering experience, or a MS degree from an accredited engineering school and thirteen (13) years of direct engineering experience, or Ph.D. degree and nine (4) years direct engineering experience
– Familiarization with Johnson Space Center (JSC) organizations, processes, and procedures.
– Environmental testing background; Experience working in the with Crew and Thermal Systems Division at Johnson Space Center
– Test chamber & Spaceflight hardware environmental testing experience strongly preferred
– Facility testing experience
– Familiarity with facility management, reporting and work order tools used by JSC facilities
– Ability to respond well to the demands of working in a Thermal Vacuum Testing facility environment
– Previous experience managing/leading/operating NASA JSC EA test facilities
– Experience working with Union/Contract Bargaining Agreement (CBA) employees
– Knowledge of JSC clinic physical/medical requirements for achievement and maintaining of certifications for employee workforce preferred
– Experienced in the following: MS Office Suite, MS Project
This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
– Typically requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Engineering and may be expected to have a related master’s degree and normally possess 10 – 15 years of related experience
– Minimum of five (5) years in a management or supervisory role or coordinating and forecasting activities for employees
– Previous management and leadership experience in leading large teams
– Demonstrated leadership experience in facility management
– Must be able to operate independently in accordance with directed prioritization
– Strong communication skills to include gathering of information and creation and delivery of presentation to customer and internal management
– Thorough understanding and broad application of occupational safety and health regulations, standards, principles, theories, and techniques
– High organizational skills with the ability to track multiple directives
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as excellent interpersonal skills
– Competent in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook)
– This position requires a full time on-location presence at JSC
Mclaurin is a unique organization with a special focus on combining the best features of research and industry in order to foster innovation. Our organization strongly supports research, publication, and engagement with the academic community. We encourage our employees to remain on the cutting edge of new developments in their respective disciplines. Prospective candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, and if applicable, a list of relevant publications and research using the contact form below.
US Citizenship and the ability to pass a comprehensive security background investigation is required.Mclaurin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.